0144 75200

Opening Hours
Monday - Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday - 9am- 5pm, Closed Bank Holidays

Medical Travel Insurance cover

all types of medical conditions

FAQ's - common answered questions

CORONAVIRUS/COVID-19/Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV 2)

*Please note, our policies do not provide cover for cancellation, abandonment or curtailment claims if the dfa advises against all or "all but essential" travel.

Our policies will also not cover any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus, COVID-19, Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-COV-2), any mutation of Coronavirus, COVID-19 or SARs-COV-2 or any pandemic or fear or threat of any the above. We also can not cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses. This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover except for the Emergency Medical Expenses section.

About The Insurer

Who underwrites your travel insurance policies?

Our insurance policies are insured by European Insurer, Union Reiseversicherung AG (URV), part of Germany's largest banking group, Versicherungskammer Bayern Group (VKB Group). They have a wealth of experience in handling worldwide emergency medical claims.

Do you have any age limits on either single trips or annual multi-trip policies?

We do not have any age restrictions for single trips up to 92 days or on annual multi-trip policies. For single trips lasting more than 92 days we have an age limit of 75 with an upper duration limit of 184 days. (Children under the age of 18 must be insured with an adult.)

Can you cover non-Republic of Ireland residents?

You must have been living in the Republic of Ireland for the last six months and be registered with a Republic of Ireland GP.

I've left the Republic of Ireland and forgotten to get travel insurance. Will you still insure me?

Travel insurance needs to be in place before you leave the Republic of Ireland and once you've left, We can no longer issue a policy.

Can I extend my cover if I decide to stay longer?

It may be possible to extend your policy once you are away which we would need to refer to insurers but only up to the maximum trip duration of; 184 days (75 and under) or 92 days (over 75s) for single trips and 31 days for annual multi-trips, providing your insurance has not already expired. We cannot issue a new policy after you've started the trip. If you want extended cover, please call us quoting your policy number so we can look into this for you.

Can you insure a child under 18 on their own policy?

Children under 18 must have at least one named adult on the policy. The child is covered providing he or she is travelling with at least one of these adults.

Buying a Policy

How can I buy a Travel Insurance policy?

You can buy your travel insurance online using our quick and easy quote facility. Alternatively, you can call us and a member of our Travel Insurance Team will be happy to help arrange a policy that meets your requirements. Annual Worldwide or Worldwide excluding USA, Caribbean and Canada policies for people over the age of 65 can only be applied for via our call centre.

When should I start my policy?

We cover you from the time you start your trip right up until the day you return back to the Republic of Ireland, (except for cancellation cover which starts when you buy the policy and ends when you start your trip).

How do I retrieve my Quote?

Our quotes are saved for 30 days (or until the date of leaving the EU in the event of a no deal or no agreement Brexit). If you get a quote online, simply revisit our website and click the 'Retrieve' quote tab on our home page. Enter your email address and quote reference number. If you get a quote over the telephone, you will be given a unique reference number which you can quote when calling us back.

How can I pay for my travel insurance?

We accept all major debit and credit cards except American Express.

If I pay online are my details safe?

Yes. We encrypt your personal data to ensure no one else can read them. We store personal data in keeping with the Data Protection Act 1988.

Can I cancel the policy after I've paid for it?

We provide a 14 day cooling off period from the date of receipt of your policy documents. If you contact us during this period, you are entitled to a full refund provided you have not travelled or made any claims against the policy.

Outside of the 14 day cooling off period we can offer a 50% refund provided you have not travelled or made any claims against the policy.

If you have an annual policy we will refund 5% of the total premium paid for each full calendar month remaining provided you have not travelled or made any claims against the policy.

How will I receive my policy documents?

If you buy your policy online, your documents will be available immediately to download, save and print. We will also send a copy to the email address you provided. If you buy your policy over the telephone, we will post your documents to you within 2 working days. If you have any problems retrieving your documents, please call us.

Am I covered for winter sports on the policy?

Winter sports are not covered as standard, but you can pay an additional premium to include cover. Please note, we only offer Winter Sports cover for travellers up to the age of 65.

Am I covered for Hazardous Activities on the policy?

Some Hazardous Activities are covered as standard on the policy and many more can be covered for an additional premium. Please refer to the policy wording for full details.

What cover for Cancellation/Curtailment do you provide?

The Cancellation/Curtailment cover varies depending  on the policy chosen

Standard - No Cancellation/Curtailment Cover

Premier - €1,000 per insured person

Premier Extra - €3,000 per insured person

Premier Plus - €5,000 per insured person

If you purchase a Premier, Premier Extra or Premier Plus policy you must insure for the full cost of your trip. If you fail to do so we will not pay more than  the proportionate cost of your trip.

Single Trip and Annual Cover

Do you cover one way trips?

No - We only cover trips from the Republic of Ireland returning back to the Republic of Ireland.

How do I renew my annual insurance?

We will send you a renewal letter in the post to let you know that your annual travel insurance is about to expire. You can then get a new quote either online or over the phone. (Please be aware that this could be impacted by a no deal or no agreement Brexit).

How do I change an existing policy?

If you need to amend your policy because you have noticed a problem or error with your documents, want to amend the name of an insured person, add a new person to the policy, purchase an additional cover option or tell us about a change in your health or medication, please contact us by telephone so we can update our records and arrange to send your amended documentation by post or email.

Can I extend my cover if I decide to stay longer?

It may be possible to extend your policy once you are away but only up to the maximum trip duration that we allow (184 days for single trips and 31 days for annual multi-trips) and providing your insurance has not already expired. We cannot issue a new policy after you've started the trip. If you want extended cover, please contact us by telephone quoting your policy number.

Am I covered travelling separately on an Annual Multi-Trip policy?

All adults insured on the policy are covered when travelling together or independently. Children are not covered to travel separately from the insured adult.

What is the maximum trip length?

We offer single trip policies up to 184 days duration

We offer Annual Multi-Trip policies cover for 365 days with a maximum of 31 days per trip duration.

What about terrorist incidents, am i covered?

Providing you're not travelling to a country or area that the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade recommends you avoid, you are covered for medical expenses and personal possessions but not cancellation.If you're not sure about the situation in the country you're going to please check with the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade by visiting https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/. If you are already in a country when the DFA advise against travel is first announced then the terrorism exclusion would not apply.

Medical Cover for Health Conditions

What is classed as a pre-existing medical condition?

If your answer is "Yes" to one or more of the following questions, then you have a medical condition which needs to be declared to us when applying for cover.

Have YOU or anyone in YOUR party:
a)-been prescribed medication (including repeat prescriptions) or received treatment or surgery in the last two years

b)-attended a hospital, clinic or GP surgery/specialist as an out-patient or in-patient in the last two years
c)-been currently put on a waiting list for treatment or investigation
d)-been diagnosed by a medical practitioner as suffering from a terminal illness

Explain in general terms what you will and won't cover in terms of medical conditions

- You must be fit to travel
- You must not travel against the advice of a medical practitioner or with the intention of obtaining medical treatment abroad.
- We will cover you for pre-existing medical conditions you have declared to us and which we have accepted in writing. these medical conditions are set out in the 'Medical Declaration Schedule' please check this schedule with your other policy documents. If the medical details in it are incorrect you must tell us immediately.
- We will not cover you for any pre-existing conditions which do not appear in the "Medical Declaration Schedule"
-We will not cover you if your state of health was worse that you declared to us when you took out the policy.

Can you cover mental health conditions?

We aim to cover mental health conditions from mild depression right through to bipolar disorder or Schizophrenia. Our quotes are subject to a medical screening.

I'm taking medication that controls my condition, So, I no longer have any symptoms. do I need to declare this?

Yes, because you into the medical declaration

I already have a policy but I've jut been diagnosed with a new medical condition, do i have to tell you?,

Yes, any changes to your health or medication that occurs before your departure date needs to be declared to us so we can review your cover.

I am currently receiving treatment, will you cover me?

We can consider cover to people whilst they are receiving medical treatment including chemotherapy. We base all our quotes on individual circumstances. However, we cannot cover the actual cost of any on-going treatment that you know you will require during the trip, such as dialysis or the cost of chemotherapy treatment itself. When getting a quote answer the medical screening questions as of today.

My condition has not yet been diagnosed; can I get cover?

We can't cover diagnosed conditions because we're not certain what we are offering cover for.

I have a very close relative in Republic of Ireland with a medical condition. If they die or fall seriously ill, I would want to cancel or cut short my holiday. Is this covered?

If you have a non-travelling close relative on whose state of health the trip depends i.e. if they were to die or fall seriously ill you would wish to cancel or curtail your trip, you will not be covered for medical conditions existing at the time your policy is purchased. however,subject to the other terms and conditions of the policy, you are covered if the non-travelling relative dies or falls seriously ill due to an accident or medical condition commencing after purchase.

I have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC); do I still need to buy travel insurance?

Some countries have a reciprocal health care agreement with the Republic of Ireland (e.g the countries in the EU, Switzerland, Australia and New Zealand).
However, our travel insurance covers many costs that are not covered by reciprocal health agreements, for example, the costs of:
- Repatriation
- Additional accommodation
- A relative or friend to stay behind, or travel from Republic of Ireland, to accompany you home if you are ill.
- Flying over a replacement carer

whats more, the patient may require a contribution to hospital costs and the cost of prescriptions or emergency dental treatment, which are often exclude. Finally, remember that our 24-hour medical emergency service will take over a lot of the stress in dealing with the hospital and liaising with close relatives at home in Republic of Ireland.

If that's the case, should I still apply for the EHIC?

Yes, because we may get a recovery of medical costs from them and if we do we will waive the excess on your medical claim if the amount saved is equal to or exceeds your excess. To apply for an EHIC, visit www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/1/schemes/EHIC/apply/Apply_for_EHIC.html.

Making a Claim

How do I make a claim?

To make a claim, you can download the relevant claim form from http://www.policyholderclaims.co.uk or contact the claims depart on +44 (0) 203 829 6683

What if I have medical emergency treatment abroad?

If you are hospitalised or have to return home early for medical reasons you MUST contact our 24-hour emergency service on +44(0) 203 829 6684 who are medically trained, multi-lingual and will contact the hospital, discuss your condition with them and where appropriate.

-Guarantee payment to the hospital
-Arrange for flights for you to travel home
-Make additional travel and accommodation arrangements for you and your travelling companions
-Keep your next of kin sat home updated on developments

What if my medication is lost or stolen?

Our policies cover you for the cost of replacing medication that is lost or stolen up to a limit of €300. Simply call the 24-hour emergency service for assistance when abroad

What if my wheelchair gets damaged or stolen?

You can claim for loss or damage up to €2,500, providing you own it. whats more, we'll pay for hire of another one whilst yours is out of action during your trip. Other mobility aids are covered too, such as motorised wheelchairs, walking frames, walking sticks and crutches. Please call the 24-hour emergency service when abroad.

How much excess do I have to pay?

These vary according to which cover plan you chose (Standard, Premier, Premier Extra or Premier Plus). Please view our benefits summary or if you have already purchased a policy, see your Schedule of Cover and Limits.